Real-Time Messaging Protocol (RTMP) was initially a proprietary protocol for streaming audio, video and data over the Internet, between a Flash player and a server. RTMP is a TCP-based protocol which maintains persistent connections and allows low-latency communication. It can realize the function of live broadcast so that customers can login to the camera wherever there is a network.
2. How to Use RTMP for Live Broadcast?
In this test case, we use YouTube to play the role of the testing platform for live view.
1) IP Camera that can be networked to YouTube.
You can just prepare a computer that can be networked to YouTube, and then directly connect it to the IP Camera which is in the same network segment.
2) An activated account of YouTube with which you can do live broadcast in this platform.
3) Ensure that your devices are with the correct firmware versions (Camera firmware: V4X.7.0.73.r6 or above).
4) IP Camera needs to support audio function if you want to play audio in YouTube.
2.2 Configuration procedures
2.2.1 Configuration procedures
Step 1: Open YouTube website.
Step 2: Login the YouTube account.
Step 3: Get access to the YouTube Studio (If it is the first time to use, you should create studio firstly.).
Step 4: Get access to Live broadcast and get the server address.
① Click the “CREATE” red box marked, and choose “Start live”.
② Fill in the red box and click “CREATE LIVE”.
The following useful message with the live URL and Stream key will pop up, you can just click “copy” for the live URL(rtmp://a.rtmp.youtube.com/live2) and the live code(7emj-7vrb-scck-a9fx) to form a whole RTMP server address, which is as below in this example: rtmp://a.rtmp.youtube.com/live2/7emj-7vrb-scck-a9fx
You can also see it here:
1. If you use a newly created account to live broadcast, you need to wait for 24hrs to activate the account for using live function.
2. For RTMP, since G.711 is not available for YouTube, so you can only play video from Milesight IP camera with H.264 video coding and AAC audio coding on YouTube.
2.2.2 Make configuration for Milesight IP Camera
Step 1: Set the video code as H.264, and audio encoding as AAC, considering the limitation of RTMP.
Step 2: Access to Basic Settings->Network->RTMP, and make configuration.
① Enable RTMP.
② Choose the Stream Type.
③ Fill in the server address confirmed before. rtmp://a.rtmp.youtube.com/live2/7emj-7vrb-scck-a9fx.
④ Save the configuration, and you will see the live view in YouTube.
Server Address in IP Camera RTMP interface needs to be filled with the format: rtmp://< Server URL >/< Stream key >, remember it needs ’/’to connect between < Server URL > and < Stream key >.
2.2.3 Watch the Live Broadcast of Milesight IP camera